There are SO MANY excellent books coming out in May and June. Most of them are books that I’ve been waiting for FOREVER.
Here are the new books that I’m impatient to get my hands on and have pre-ordered (either thru Amazon or my local library, links go to Goodreads):
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas (2 May) — I had some serious issues with ACoTaR (and the TOG series, tbh…), but I loved ACoMaF which ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. So, I’m very excited to get back to this world/story and see what happens next.
- Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy (9 May) — When I read the description and found out that one of the main characters is a swimmer and swimming laps was important enough to the story that it made it into the blurb, I knew I had to read this book. Plus, Julie Murphy is AWESOME, and I’ll read anything she writes.
- Thick As Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner (16 May) — I’ve waited so long for another book set in the Queen’s Thief world by MWT, and now it’s here! This is one of my all time favorite fantasy series.
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon (30 May) — I’ve heard nothing but great things about this book. It’s set in SF at a coding camp and the romance sounds super sweet. Can’t wait to get my hands on this one.
- Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire (13 June) — This one is a sequel of sorts to Every Heart A Doorway, and I’ve been waiting for it eagerly ever since I noticed that they put a “#1” series designator on EHaD. This one features two of my favorite characters from the novel. I can’t wait.
- Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab (13 June) — The first book in this series was possibly my favorite YA book I read last year, and if you read this blog regularly, you probably already know how much I love everything VES writes (though Vicious is still always my favorite, and you’ll be able to hear my squeeing from miles away when the sequel finally comes out). I love these characters, and I can’t wait to dive back into this world.
May is going to be the best birthday month ever.
If I missed an awesome book coming out in May or June that you think I’d love, please add your recommendations in the comments. I always enjoy learning about new books that should be on my reader radar.
I looked over my list of pre-orders for March and April and it was pretty small. Are there really just not that many new SFF books coming out in the next two months? What did I miss?
While I try to figure that out, I’ll share with you the new books that I am excited about and have pre-ordered (either thru Amazon or my local library):
- The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi — Technically, this is supposed to be a post about books I pre-ordered. And technically, I have not only NOT pre-ordered this, I’ve also not yet added it to my hold list at the library (I did recommend they get the ebook, though). Anyway… I’m including it here because I am cautiously excited about this book. I really like John Scalzi (the person, or at least how he appears on the internet), and I really love space opera. But, (and I know this is maybe going to sound terrible to some people) lately I’m just not that excited about SFF written by white dudes, and maybe especially not space opera written by white dudes. They just seem to be lacking in creativity. Or maybe N. K. Jemisin ruined me forever. Regardless, I know Scalzi is a politically/socially aware white dude. This is why I say I’m “cautiously excited” about this book. I definitely want to read it at some point this year, but I don’t think I’m going to drop everything to do it in the next month. It’s okay. He’ll have plenty of sales. He doesn’t need my money. 🙂
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor — This one, on the other hand, I think I’ve had pre-ordered for over a year. Laini Taylor is an “auto-buy” author for me. When I saw she had a new series coming out, I didn’t even read the blurb, I just hit the pre-order button. But I’m pretty sure that the publication date must have slipped or something. Still, given how much I loved Laini Taylor’s Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, I have high expectations for this new novel and a good feeling that I will not be disappointed.
- A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi — Okay, I’m a little biased here because I got to meet, learn from, and hang out with Roshani at the writing workshop I attended last weekend (more on that in a future post). This is will be her second book, and if the blurb hint about “poisonous courtesans” has anything to do with the main character from her short story (published in Book Smugglers’ Quarterly Almanac vol 1) called “The Vishakanya’s Choice,” I seriously can not wait to read this one.
- Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves — This is the one you probably haven’t heard of, but if you like YA Fantasy, you should probably add to your TBR. The blurb on Goodreads sounds very promising, just maybe don’t read the ARC reviews… I’ve been excited about this one for a while because I follow the author on Twitter and she seems pretty fantastic. Technically, I didn’t pre-order this one, but I did request it from my library.
And that’s it for my March/April pre-orders. I had to restrain myself from adding a book I’ve already pre-ordered that comes out on 2 May… I am so excited about it that I really tried to justify how to add it to this list. Here’s a hint to hold you over until my next pre-order post: the author is one of my “problematic faves” and a powerhouse in YA fantasy.
If I missed an awesome book coming out in March or April that you think I’d love, please add your recommendations in the comments. I always enjoy learning about new books that should be on my reader radar.